When someone we love is diagnosed with a fatal disease, we often are at a loss for where to turn and how to help. Each person deals with their diagnosis differently, and therefore, it’s important to be sensitive to their concerns and fears. Below are a few links that might be helpful in understanding better how to deal with this difficult time.
- AAMFT (American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy) – Information on how a chronic illness can affect the family.
- American Psychological Association – how to help a friend or loved one suffering from a chronic illness.
- GiveForward – an online fundraising site dedicated to helping friends and family send love and financial support to patients navigating a medical crisis.
- Living With a Parent’s Chronic Illness – an article by Claire Berman on how to be a good parent even when you are braving a chronic illness.
- Wonders & Worries – a non-profit organization that helps children cope when a parent faces a serious or life-threatening illness.
There are other LAM-related Organizations around the world that may be able to provide additional information for you and yours.